5. Holi Festival of Color [2 photos and 3 videos] http://5thin.gs/IjURs9
1. Forty of Don Draper's best lines http://5thin.gs/AenKrd
2. Inside musical instruments http://5thin.gs/A4Utd9
3. Twenty-five extraordinary Google Street View moments http://5thin.gs/wtrP3C
4. The mysterious underwater ruins of Yonaguni http://5thin.gs/z2nEuX
5. North Brother Island: NYC's abandoned leper colony http://5thin.gs/xDeX4j
See all posts with Urban Ruins: http://5thin.gs/urban-ruins
Here are my 5 things about Urban Ruins. What are yours? Submit here!
1. The Ruins of Gary, Indiana [10 photos] http://5thin.gs/qpr81S
I've driven past Gary, and this waning industrial city on the edge of Chicago doesn't seem like there would be beautiful broken things in it, but there are.
2. 'Long Shadow of Chernobyl' project [23 photos] http://5thin.gs/Jloj4p
There have been a spate of stunning, heart-breaking and terrifying stories and projects recently about Chernobyl. From the villages that continue to exist within the contamination zone, to the utterly abandoned cityscapes and the street art that clearly has something more at stake than annoying the residents, it serves as a guide for what will undoubtedly become a more common urban situation.
3. New York’s Greatest Abandoned Movie Theater [12 photos] http://5thin.gs/fXWnHl
There was a heyday for oppulent, luxurious gilded (and gilt) movie houses in New York. These are its remnants.
4. Futuristic abandoned Soviet monuments [25 photos] http://5thin.gs/Jlkr3f
It was a brave new world the soviets were creating and memorializing... These monuments can attest to a new vision, a new culture and a new aesthetic.
5. Abandoned Ships [14 photos] http://5thin.gs/Kd1Ul7
Ships are like micro-cities. These micro-cities broken upon the far-flung shores of the world's seas are remarkably serene. I can see why there is a whole wreck-diving industry out there.
1. Father’s Day Ads, 1943 – 1981 [8 images] http://5thin.gs/MdmzKR
2. Tiny hi-speed chase [video] http://5thin.gs/Mj1E5e
3. James Joyce's Ulysses pictorially annotated [sit] http://5thin.gs/MdlyCH
4. Painting with photos [video] http://5thin.gs/MdoVJJ
5. Conceptual photos of abandonment [8 images] http://5thin.gs/MdpP95
1. Alternate Views of the Eclipse [3 photos] http://5thin.gs/JzJ73S
2. Sounds of Aronofsky [supercut] http://5thin.gs/JzIUxt
3. Behind-The-Scenes Journey Of Your Luggage [video] http://5thin.gs/JzIrvi
4. The Power of Networks: a new RSAnimate [video] http://5thin.gs/JzIPKh
5. Deserted Shopping Malls of the 2000s/2010s [9 photos] http://5thin.gs/JzJco6
1. Daily Lives of Sumo Wrestlers [9 photos] http://5thin.gs/Kd0BCV
2. European time-lapse map w/ years & events [video] http://5thin.gs/Kd0iYy
3. Abstract urban animations [video] http://5thin.gs/KcZFhE
4. Creepy Kolmanskop Ghost Town in Namibia [21 PICS] http://5thin.gs/KcZtyU
5. A Beached Whale sculpture in the forests of Argentina [3 photos] http://5thin.gs/KquV2v
1. 24 hours in one photo http://5thin.gs/I8zYCL
2. Abandoned places [91 photos] http://5thin.gs/I5Vg1T
3. How folding paper can get you to the moon [video] http://5thin.gs/HTpCTH
4. Water shots [4 photos] http://5thin.gs/I8ACjD
5. Hot Wheels Gymkhana [video] http://5thin.gs/I8BnsT
After checking out the links, vote for the 2 people you think should go on to the finals, on their way to winning a Kindle.
The two with the most votes here on this post when the round closes advance to the finals.
Round 2 ends at 11 PM EST on February 20. Be sure and vote for the two you think should be in the finals.
Read about all 5 contestants at the bottom of this post.
1. The First Word
From Van Jazmin
"Electric Sheep Comix returns with a stunning new HTML5 comic from artist Patrick Farley, portraying Terrence McKenna’s "stoned ape theory". Let it load and take you on the psychedelic journey of the first humanoid hominids. [NSFW]"
2. Morphonano: Interactive sculpture goes nano
From Jamiel Livingston
"I can't say enough about Morphonano. Opulent in edifying stimuli this exhibit will no doubt reinvigor this generation's imagination. I really felt this piece when first reading about it a few weeks back, then I read about the "Family Day At The Beall" where The Optics Institute of Sol Cal's “Artricks-Optricks” program teaches principles of light, vision, and other optical phenomena. Kids can learn from demo's based in the fields of engineering, manufacturing and design.With hands on learning tools and meditative music filling the room I'd love to take my nieces. "I believe children are our future" And I fallowed Nano tech for 7 years now this is science fact no longer sci-fi."
3. Treehouse Village
From Marc Croswell
"Pretty much I picked it because I lived in Oregon and have never met as many craftspeople in such a small area...this stuff is nothing new for Oregonians...I picked it hoping that this kind of happenings would take off in other parts of the U.S. Plus....I like treehouses and who doesn't like Ewoks?
People need to start building their houses to compliment their personalities... I would prefer to live underground in a hobbit type dwelling..."
4. The Money Infographic
From Chris Alexander
"The Money Inforgraphic is vast. It should be since it shows all the money in the world, broken down from dollars to trillion. Add a sense of humor and you've got some interesting reading. Example: the visualized the cost of one F-22 Raptor (fighter plane) and a velociraptor (hypothetical, based on Jurassic Park’s budget). Have fun."
5. Hashima, Ghost Island
From Brian Braun
"That's it. Slide show of one the coolest places on Earth. I want to go there."
Van Jazmin is a cartoonist, writer, and entrepreneur. A Ringling College student and community activist, Van mixes with diverse crowds in the pursuit of all things creative in Sarasota, FL. He has been a key force in Zigzag Magazine (http://5thin.gs/ukCP4L), 529 Clothesline Gallery (http://5thin.gs/uZJeZD), and Third Eye Projections (http://5thin.gs/tJCOfT). See Van's blog at http://vanjazmin.tumblr.com
Jamiel (L.O.S.) Livingston: Activist, Radio DJ, Rapper/Singer Songwriter. Discovered he could sing at age 5 from watching MJ on BET & MTV and started Rapping and Battling in 97. He tries to find a way to burn words into people's thoughts. Speech is his gift so and has exercised this at WSLR for 5 years (http://wslr.org). He also does guest spots on Big Blu House tracks (http://www.reverbnation.com/bigbluhouse). He volunteered for Harvey Milk Fest, Grater Newtown's Youth Build and protests for causes he feels strongly about.
Chris Alexander is the creative manager at The Jewish Federation of Sarasota-Manatee. He specializes in graphic design, web administration, social media and foosball. He serves as the Activities Chair for the Relay for Life Palmer Ranch, (March 30, 2012), and is the #1 fan of Sarasota's almost-famous actor, Christine Alexander. Chris loves live music & comedy and is inspired to drag himself through the occasional obstacle course. http://facebook.com/chris.alexander
From art student, to roadie, to camera operator, to self-taught photographer, Brian David Braun has made a name for himself with his astute eye and badass aesthetic: artists, actors and models now clamoring to be shot by him. A Cincinnati native, he has found himself shooting photos for a living in downtown Sarasota County. http://briandavidbraunsarasotaphotographer.com
1. Remote controlled flying people http://5thin.gs/xRhosm
1. FOLLOW UP: 75 photos of those creepy underwater statues we covered season 2 (see video below) http://5thin.gs/wFzc7Z
1. Surfing at night while decked out in glowsticks http://5thin.gs/su6AQk
2. A glass-floored walkway way up in Tianmen (天門) in China http://5thin.gs/sIa8o6
3. Stylish stop-motion animation depicting the history of the Universe http://5thin.gs/spP2o0
4. The 10 most interesting photos in American science history http://5thin.gs/uJjBBz
5. A photo set of an abandoned traditional ryokan (旅館) Japanese inn that happens to be built out over a river http://5thin.gs/u7sxRW
1. Animals!! http://5thin.gs/uGhohl
3. Macro visions of the world around us http://5thin.gs/uJeGPb
4. American nomads living the nomadic life http://5thin.gs/tFa7iG
5. Dalí's illustrations for Alice in Wonderland http://5thin.gs/w0jP7Q
1. Cats and art (rather PUTTING cats in art)... http://bit.ly/nExVWc
2. Abandoned Disney places (can't wait for part 2!!) http://5thin.gs/qap0wQ
3. Sea Shanties and Drinking Songs http://5thin.gs/ox43KW
4. Some of the most amazingly beautiful places in the world I want to see http://5thin.gs/ndogRf
5. Great typographic work http://5thin.gs/pEsL38
1. Trailer for a gorgeous bit of snowboarding cinematography http://5thin.gs/rv4N87
2. Toronto get the timelapse treatment http://5thin.gs/na05Rt
3. World Wildlife creates a little film about the recently discovered species in the world http://5thin.gs/pG3bp2
4. NYC from above http://5thin.gs/oVq2xp
5. An abandoned Japanese amusement park http://5thin.gs/qc1hd7
1. Abandoned East Berlin amusement park http://5thin.gs/pYRN0w
2. French Harley Davidson riders http://5thin.gs/qhJ5ks
3. Crazy yachts http://5thin.gs/paYu8l
4. A ride-along with a rally-cross racer http://5thin.gs/nfSdP2
5. I wanna run off and join the crew of a Russian Arctic icebreaker http://5thin.gs/nk8eP3