Often I get asked a lot of times about which books I'd recommend for the designers in their lives. Here is a short list.
If you've got a computer programmer in your life, and you are looking for something really killer to get them this Christmas, here is our gift guide.
Mechanical keyboards, especially for programmers who spend their days pounding out lines of code, not only provide the satisfying click and movement, but are meant to be better on the hands.
This gorgeous steampunk mechanical keyboard is a show piece.
This elegant and minimal desk lamp not only has a built in USB charging port and flicker-free light, but has 4 lighting modes (study, read, relax and bedtime) and 5 dimming levels.
The health benefits of standing are well documented, and for people who make their living at a desk and monitor, a standing desk is a must-have. This is a simple, flexible and gorgeous one.
Programmers have their own language and their own, often punny, always witty, sense of humor. This T-shirt, a premium American Apparel manufacture with a coding term used here with a wink and a smile.
Reproduction of the original patent artwork and application submitted by Steve Jobs to the US Patent & Trademark Office in 1983 printed on premium paper for an aged and authentic look.
LEGO has released their Women of NASA set which includes:
- 4 minifigures: Nancy Grace Roman, Margaret Hamilton, Sally Ride and Mae Jemison.
- Features 3 LEGO® builds illustrating the areas of expertise of the 4 featured women of NASA.
- Nancy Grace Roman’s build features a posable Hubble Space Telescope with authentic details and a projected image of a planetary nebula.
- Margaret Hamilton's build features a stack of book elements, representing the books of listings of Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC) onboard flight software source code.
- Sally Ride and Mae Jemison’s build features a launchpad and Space Shuttle Challenger with 3 removable rocket stages.
This is a hat I designed. You can get one too.
It was $19.99, but now only $16.99
Considering how much time we spend at our desks, a few considered additions beyond the computer and mouse can make a mountain of a difference.
So here is a collection of 5 things that will give your desk greater easy, order, style and interest. Share the list with the desk-bound that need a little lift.
Premium weighted silicone combined with precision cut aluminum matches metal finishes of your device
Compatible with iPhone 5/5s, iPhone 6/6s, iPhone 6 Plus/6s Plus, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini (all generations), iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Magic Keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad 2, Apple Magic Mouse 2 (remove DOCK aluminium back-plate), Apple TV Remote with Touch (4th generation Apple TV), Apple Smart Battery Case
Vertical notebook stand saves desk space. Increases airflow around notebook to keep it cooler. Sturdy single piece aluminum design. Sand-blasted and anodized finish matches Apple notebooks. Compatible with MacBook Pro 13/15/17, MacBook Pro 13/15; retina, MacBook Air 11/13
- 12 Hour AM/ PM Clock
- Flip Down Minute and Hour Display, Easy to read numbers
- Accurate quartz movement
- Quality construction woth updated retro flip design in silver
- Power Source: 1 x D Battery (not included)
- Go green at the office
- Desktop planter is made of solid concrete
- The terraced base holds pens, business cards, or other small supplies
- Great accent to any desk
- Measures 6.3 by 3.6 by 3.2-inches
For those designers who believe pencil first, pixel later, there is the dilemma of an art bin on your desk. Here, a 4-level set of drawers for your microns, pentels and prismacolors, sits neatly on your desk to keep your tools close at hand.
There are so many great sketching notebooks in the world, and in my design practice I have tried a lot of them. These Plain Moleskine Cahier Extra Large Notebooks are my current favorite. They don't feel oversized, but they do feel expansive. And, unlike some of the other Moleskine line, these feel like they are working notebooks, neither precious nor showy.
In search for my own backpack that would take me across country on the plane, across town on the metro or around town on my cycle, I found a lot of gorgeous backpacks, ranging from great deals to beautiful pieces.
Here is a preview of my full list of backpacks great for back to school.